We’re Macuject, an Australian digital health company that supports doctors and patients in achieving the best possible outcomes when treating chronic blinding disease. Our fantastic team of humans brings together first-class expertise in medicine, business, AI and the web. We enjoy working together, and we’re looking for a new colleague to join us as a Mid to Senior Web Developer - Ruby on Rails.
To be considered for this role, you must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Located in Australia.
- Full Australian work rights. We can’t offer visa sponsorships at this time.
- At least 5 years of commercial experience in Ruby, Ruby on Rails, SQL and associated technologies for developing web applications and APIs.
- An ability to be a technical leader within the team and help others grow.
- Be product minded. You want to learn about the medical space in which we operate, collaborate with our medical teams and help define and refine the functionality we ship to customers.
- We aim for the highest standards and goals.
- We value respect, integrity and trust.
- We are accountable for all that we do.
- We support each other.
- We embrace technology, innovation and critical thinking to achieve our goals.
- We have an insatiable curiosity.
Macuject values a healthy work-life balance and offers flexible practices to support our employees. We understand that life can be unpredictable, and sometimes, you must adjust your work schedule to accommodate personal needs. Macuject has a remote-first approach, so we are open to candidates from any location in Australia. We also have office space in Melbourne, should you be based there.
We recognise that women, non-binary individuals, and individuals from diverse backgrounds may face unique challenges and barriers when entering and thriving in the technology industry. We’re committed to creating a supportive and inclusive environment for all candidates. We encourage women, non-binary individuals, and individuals from all backgrounds and experiences to apply for our open positions.
We’re looking for a senior Ruby on Rails developer who is across the latest tech in Rails 7. You understand why security is essential and strive to maintain the highest standards. You’re comfortable working with a range of people from different disciplines and backgrounds and are an equally good verbal and written communicator. You’re a team player and enjoy helping others improve their skills.
Ideally, you have some AWS experience; if not, you would like to learn about it and help us operate and maintain our services in production.
- Develop high-quality and maintainable code for web applications and APIs using modern, full-stack Ruby on Rails techniques underpinned by a PostgreSQL database.
- Work closely with medical teams and iterate on functionality as necessary.
- Champion security at all times and uphold Macuject’s commitment to standards such as SOC2 and HIPAA.
- Undertake a mixture of maintenance and new feature work.
- Sometimes, this means React, as some of our older functionality is React-based, but this need is reducing over time.
- Collaborate with the rest of the technology team to design, implement, test and review new features and functionality.
- Act as a technical leader within the team.
- Contribute to the ongoing evolution of our technology stack and development processes.
- Creating helpful documentation for everything you do as a point of pride.
- Help to identify and troubleshoot technical issues and provide solutions.
- Friendly, collaborative, passionate and humble
- Enjoy having fun with your colleagues whilst also building cutting-edge solutions
- A passion for learning, teaching and staying updated on technologies and best practices
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills, with the ability to think outside the box
- You have strong collaboration skills, including working effectively in a cross-functional team of experts across business, medicine and technology
- Comfortable with rapid change
You have a robust Software Development foundation, including:
- A university degree, TAFE course, or other formal training
- Commercial experience as a full-stack Ruby on Rails developer creating web and API applications
- Working with PostgreSQL databases and ensuring optimal performance of queries
- Responsive and cross-browser development techniques
- Git, GitHub and GitHub Actions
- Familiarity with containerisation technologies, particularly Docker
It would be great if you had experience in any of the following:
- Working with Tailwind CSS
- Amazon Web Services
- Machine Learning technologies
- Linux Administration
If you’re excited by this role, please submit your resume and a cover letter outlining your relevant experience and why you're interested. If you have examples of your work on GitHub or other online services, please provide links to those in your cover letter.